Climate change is real and we are the generation that needs to help slow down the process. Both directly and indirectly through education, research, and activism. Canadians specifically are generating approximately 31 million tonnes of garbage a year. Only 30 percent of that is recycled. (Waste) Greenhouse gases are the leading cause of global warming and why is that? Coal, oil, and gas is heavily used for electricity. Here are some interesting products that are being created worldwide to create a greener world.
A Vietnamese company has created compostable straws made from grey sedge grass. These types of straws decompose easily and are packaged with bamboo leaves. No waste from these straws!
Plastic Straws are slowly being banned worldwide. Roughly 8.3 billion straws are polluting beaches worldwide. It takes 200 years for a plastic straw to decompose, while edible straws take a few days or weeks (30-60 days).
Edibles plates made out of potato starch
- Marushige Seika Co. focuses on reducing plastic one day at a time
- They created a product called an E-tray. These trays are edible, compostable, and have different flavors like onion, corn & more!
- A paper plate takes roughly five years to decompose, while edible plates take only 30 days to compose and are edible if you want to eat them!
Living Things is a creation of algae as home decor
- Edible bacteria that acts as a light source
- Microalgae turn into green biomass (burning animal or plant) and convert it into biofuel (renewable energy from animals or plants)
- Only 10% of regular light bulbs energy is used as light, 90% left over is converted into heat. While algae gives off a calming light, and roughly about 3 years of light. Not enough research is done yet, but algae bioluminescent has been growing for years and removes roughly 100-200 times more carbon dioxide than trees do (Algae Light Source)
- Company: Tomato & Co.
- Made from organic waste from cotton factories
- Available in different thicknesses, colors and even able to have specific prints
- Once a person is done using the paper, it can be placed in a pot of soil to help produce tomatoes
- Bamboo India created a natural speaker
- All you have to do is put your phone on the dock, and the Bamboo stick’s hollow inside amplifies sounds naturally
- Uses no electrical power and has a long shelf-life
Edible Water blobs were created to have waste-free packaging and lessen the amount of plastic water bottles in the ocean.
- Skipping Rocks Lab. has created “Ooho” – which is a mixture of brown algae & calcium chloride that creates a jelly layer around liquids.
- The jelly layer has no taste and can be eaten by tearing a hole or popping the whole thing into your mouth
- 100% biodegradable
These are only some products that have been making a difference & many more out there!
Have you heard of any of these products before?
https://www.intelligentliving.co/edible-plates-and-chopsticks/ http://www.livingthings.us/ https://www.ecoideaz.com/innovative-green-ideas/kritika-parwal-innovates-unique-plantable-paper https://www.bigsmall.in/blogs/unique-gifts/top-10-innovative-eco-friendly-products-from-around-the-world https://earth911.com/business-policy/edible-water-blobs/#:~:text=What%20Is%20It%3F,six%20weeks%20if%20not%20consumed. https://www.nrdc.org/stories/global-climate-change-what-you-need-know